Students and teachers can take active roles in preventing the problem of marine debris. Educating students - and their families - on the importance of understanding and changing the behaviors that cause debris is an important step. Here are some guidelines students and educators can follow to help reduce the amount of marine debris that enters our waters.
• Encourage your school to sponsor or get involved in a local cleanup in your area.
• Reduce, reuse, recycle. Choose reusable items and use fewer disposable ones.
• Keep streets, sidewalks, parking lots and storm drains free of trash - they can empty into our waterways and oceans.
• At the beach, park or playground, dispose of all trash in the proper receptacles or take your trash home with you. Pick up any debris you see while out.
• Support legislation and other measures that help stem the marine debris problem.
• Serve as an example to others. Encourage your friends and family to help keep the beaches and oceans clean.